Surakshit Aawas Project is being implemented at Kailali district with the financial and technical support of Habitat for Humanity International Nepal for the period from 1 May, 2022 to 30 June, 2023. The project aims to ensure the living standards of landless, dalit, ex-bonded labors, badi, flood affected and vulnerable families through safe housing. The project also includes support in process to the local government for joint land title under land commission in working district. Besides some activities are also being carried out for WASH awareness, DR3 community enhancement and youth mobilization.
Rationale of the Project: Freed Haliya, ex-Kamaiya and Harawa-Charawa situation study committee recently formed by federal ministry of land reform, cooperative and poverty alleviation recommended that the 3 layers of government (local, province and federal) needs to take immediate action for safe housing of ex-Kamaiys for their resilient livelihood options. The newly promulgated constitution-2015 has significant provisions for the rights of very poor and oppressed. Land and housing issues are considered as fundamental rights. The article-40 (5 and 6) has ensured the land and housing rights of Dalits. It is observed that ex-bonded agriculture laborers (Haliyas and Kamaiyas), ex-sex workers (Badis) and other marginalized and vulnerable groups have need of housing support. The target beneficiaries; laborers (Haliyas and Kamaiyas), ex-sex workers (Badis) and other marginalized and vulnerable groups are compelled to dwell their life in poverty in poor shacks in public/government owned land.
Goal: Ensure the living standards of landless, dalit, ex-bonded labors, badi, flood affected and vulnerable families through safe housing.
Objective: To ensure the land and housing rights of marginalized communities such as Dalits, freed Kamaiyas, Haliyas and other marginalized communities in the society.
- Baseline Survey
- Planning and Kick Off Meeting
- Construction committee formation, orientation and mobilization
- Government coordination and liaison/DPAC
- Support Government to provide joint land title (Land Ownership Certificate) to land less families
- Construction of New Houses
- Support for finishing of ongoing project (provincial government partnership)
- Block Making Training
- Safety gears & equipment (machine, sanitizers and masks)
- Visibility of Construction Sites
- DR3 and CCA Capacity Building enhancement at community level
- Orientation on Disaster risk Reduction and PASSA/VCA tools and HH Preparedness plan and emergency fund (2.5 days) / Orientation on hazard and evacuation plan and mock drill